The company known as "Armstrong" began life in 1946 as Armstrong County Line Construction, headquartered in Kittanning, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania. Founded by Jud L. Sedwick, he and his brother Ned ran two crews of six men, hanging telephone lines, setting poles and clearing right of way throughout western Pennsylvania. Within the first year, the company had grown to 12 crews. Given this solid start, the company continued to grow and expand. In the 1950s they began to own and operate independent telephone companies. In the 1960s they expanded into the cable television industry. In the 1980s they moved into the security, restaurant and real estate development industries.
Six decades old, the Armstrong Group employs over 2,000 people across the nation and is an industry leader in many of their fields of endeavor.